EAT | Caramel Apple Empanada (Awesome, easy kid DESSERT!)
Published on October 2, 2017
The perfect handheld dessert for kids, these caramel apple empanadas are super easy to make.
Subscribe to WUM for new vids M-W-F! http://bit.ly/sub2moms
Thank you for making us the #1 Parenting Network on YouTube!
– 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
– 1/2 cup light brown sugar
– 2 tablespoons salted butter
– 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
– 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch
– about 2 tablespoons water
– 2 discs pie crust
– egg wash
– sugar, for sprinkling
1. To make the filling, in a medium, high-sided skillet over medium heat, combine the apples, brown sugar, butter, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
2. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the butter and sugar create a caramel sauce. Stir in the cornstarch mixed with water, bring the mixture to a boil, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until the caramel thickens. When you stir the mixture, your spoon should leave a trail behind it. Let the mixture cool completely off the heat.
3. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Using a 3½-inch round cutter, cut the dough into circles, placing the circles on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, as you cut them.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
6. Place a heaping teaspoon of cooled filling into the center of a round of dough and fold the dough over the filling to create a half moon shape. Use a fork to seal the edge of the empanada, then use a sharp knife to make a slit in the top for a vent. Set the formed empanada onto the prepared baking sheet and repeat to make the remaining empanadas. (Reserve any leftover filling for a dipping sauce.)
7. Brush the tops of the empanadas with egg wash and sprinkle generously with sugar. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling begins to bubble out the top of the vent. Let cool completely on the baking sheets, at least 20 minutes. Serve with any remaining caramel sauce.
Follow What’s Up Moms on:
We provide our videos for entertainment and promotional purposes only. It is your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, timeliness, completeness, or usefulness of the content, instructions and advice contained in our videos. WUM is not liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on anything contained in our videos. Some of the links provided are a result of our participation in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.